Friday, September 5, 2008

Back in Nairobi!!!

After two days of travel, terrible airplane food, and many movies, we’ve finally made it to Kenya!!! We’ve spent the last few days adjusting to Nairobi at the swanky Methodist Guest House in the Westlands, which is surrounded by embassies and private schools. This hotel is unlike any place I’ve been in East Africa, complete with swimming pool and tea three times a day. So despite knowing it’s allowing the students a nice and easy transition into East Africa, I can’t wait until we start our home stays in the Satellite district tomorrow in order to return to the Nairobi that I know and love. Still, despite being sequestered in a swanky neighborhood, I’ve enjoyed some unmistakable aspects of Kenyan society. The smells of the combination of traffic, smoke and bodies, which is found throughout the urban areas of East Africa, is oddly comforting and has permeated my days. Similarly, the sights of men and women walking through the streets of Nairobi in their best clothes and surrounded by screeching matatus is wonderfully familiar. So despite being in a very different area of the city it feels wonderful to be back!!!

It was amazing how confusing it was to go straight from the airport to an area of Nairobi where I’ve never been (the swanky hotel area). So I pretty much spent the first 24 hours completely lost and unsure of where we were. Luckily on the second day, I accompanied Rose and the two Dave’s to Reiruta to see where we were having our classes. I have never found the sight of chickens/goats and the yells of “mazungu” following me so comforting. Not only did I know this area and was able to get my bearings, but I was back in a neighborhood with people I adored. I had such a wonderful time with my home stay family two years ago that I absolutely can’t wait to go back. While I won’t be able to stay with the same family (sadly they moved out of the neighborhood three months ago), I can’t wait to meet a new family, practice Swahili and learn about their culture. It’s just such a wonderful experience and I am so unbelievably lucky to get again!!!

It’s crazy that we’ve already started classes. I really can’t complain, however, because I’m definitely doing it for fun rather than for a grade – so it’s just a positive learning experience for me. Still, after walking for graduation and knowing that I’m done with school for the next few years, it’s odd sitting through classes and doing homework. But since I’ve already done the classes, Swahili has been a wonderful revue and Sperling’s class has been really interesting. Campion is starting his class in about a week, which will be so much fun because I’m still realizing how little I actually know about England’s colonial history in Kenya. So that’s something to look forward to…

So there are some random thoughts, but hopefully it’ll help you know what’s going during my first week in Nairobi. Next post, I will be in my home stay in Reiruta, which should provide some interesting things to talk about. So, I really hope you all are doing well and having a wonderful start of fall!!!