Tuesday, November 4, 2008
November 4, 2008 - Costal Biology
Yesterday we arrived in Arusha from our week in Pembe Abwe where we studied coastal biology with Dorobo Safaris. After free week in Pemba, I didn't really expect anything to be more relaxing. Obviously, I didn't remember how wonderful coastal biology week always is! In Pembe Abwe we stay at a camp with bandas right on the ocean and we spend our time either in the ocean or at the beach. Every day this last week we would go to different reef ecosystems where we would examine the ways different animals and organisms interact and the impact of marine protected areas. We did this primarily by engaging in a Reef Watch survey and by having underwater classes with our instructors. The afternoons were taken over by afternoon discussions on the impacts of humans on marine ecosystems, and then lounging around swimming and reading in the shade. Essentially it was perfection and allowed us all another week to completely relax. I really wish we didn't have to go!!! Still, in the next few days we are starting our safari unit where we will travel across Tanzania to learn about different ecosystems and humans interactions with them. I absolutely can't wait because it should / will be amazing. However, I will not have internet access for about a month. So have a good month and I will let you know how I am doing when I return to internet ready society. Kwa Heri!!
